Thursday, August 4, 2022

Sleepiness

I'm not quite sure why I felt so sleepy today, but I did. If I hadn't been sleeping terribly well, I could understand it, but I reckon I've enjoyed quite a few nights of solid, restful sleep lately, so when I started nodding over some marking in the early afternoon it came as a surprise. And it wasn't the fault of the essays I was marking. In fact, I'm at that time of year when marking becomes that bit more interesting since I'm seeing those more obvious signs of progress in individual scripts that signal genuine development, which has a kind of fascination all its own, moving beyond a predictable routine.

I suspected that once I got back home I'd find myself crashing out for an hour or so, and that's exactly what happened. Sadly I managed to do so listening to Mozart's Haffner Symphony which made me feel especially guilty since I'd recently been reading an article that pointed out how much modern listeners take for granted the accessibility of wonderful music and abuse that privilege. And here's something to reflect on: if I start moaning about a lack of concentration on the part of the young people I teach then it will more than a little hypocritical. I suppose I'll just have to claim my advanced years as an excuse. Come to think of it, that often comes in handy these days.

No comments: