Sunday, February 6, 2022

Keeping It Real - 2

Although the jargon employed at work is maddening in the way of most silly jargon, small joys occasionally pop up in the general desolation. In the last staff meeting of 2021 I was quite taken by a reference to 'mixed reality' in lessons, and the phrase has since popped up more than once in meetings related to the use of IT in the classroom. As far as I can make out the phrase in question is an attempt to acknowledge the odd status in ontological terms of the representations of real experience we get through computer screens.

I have a feeling that for some of my colleagues such representations are even better than the real thing, and who am I to disabuse them? (Must admit, though, seeing live footage of some bands in concert makes me feel like I was there despite my certain knowledge that nothing can substitute for the sheer visceral ooompphhh of live music.)

No comments: