Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Just Talking

It's been quite a time since I've had anything in the way of a relaxed, extended chat with my sister, so talking to Maureen over the phone on Sunday was a bit of an occasion for me. It looks like the recent extended bout of rehab may turn out to be a very welcome turning point. She sounded like her old self, except older, oddly reminding me of Auntie Norah. I suppose it's so long since we've really talked I'd not been aware of something of a downward shift of pitch in her voice. Mind you, she was also nursing a cold so that may account for it.

John was also sounding a lot brighter than in recent conversations, lifted, I think, by having company again. It looks like there's a chance that they may carve out some genuinely happy times between them in the months - maybe years - ahead. That's not something I thought of as a possibility up to the end of last year. It's against the odds, I suppose, but it'll be all the sweeter for that.

No comments: