Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Privileged

29 Ramadhan, 1442

I tried to book a place at prayers for Eid this morning, but it just didn't work out for me. The on-line system for bookings for prayers in general put up the specific link for Raya at 10.00 am and I went in on the dot, only to get repeated messages about the server not being available. My guess is that the system was overwhelmed with enthusiastic brothers and sisters trying to get their places. I kept trying to get in to the system for 15 minutes, but since I was actually teaching at the time I couldn't keep going any longer. My class finished at 11.00 and I went back in right away to find the link now readily available, but every place in every mosque on the island fully booked. A bit disappointing - I'd been imagining being able to enjoy a 'full' version of Hari Raya Puasa, as opposed to the much reduced 2020 model.

We'd also been planning for two sets of guests on the day, now reduced to one small group in line with the adjustment of the government's guidelines. Again, disappointing - but not as much so as the full lockdown imposed in Malaysia ahead of Eid. We were talking about this last night and Noi made a number of wise observations about both the need for the lockdown and ways to make the best of it.

Surely that is what our understanding of Ramadhan demands of us? Yes, it's good to celebrate a successful month of fasting, but the real celebration is the one in the heart. If we add to the well-being of others through considerate behaviour in Syawal we can only be reinforcing the lessons of the month. We are privileged to get through the month at all in reasonable shape and without being tested in any genuinely extreme way - unlike so many other Muslims.

I know this sounds 'preachy'. It's meant to. Sometimes we need the clarity of knowing exactly what the right thing to do, the right way to behave, is. The knowledge gives us purpose, and purpose gives us meaning.

No comments: