Monday, May 10, 2021

Not Entirely At Ease

28 Ramadhan, 1442

I tend to think of the final days of the fasting month as ones involving a certain degree of ease. The finishing line is in sight and the body has adjusted to the challenge of not eating or drinking from dawn to dusk.

But today was a welcome reminder that it's not always quite as simple as that. I got back from work in time for the Asr Prayer - and struggled to do the necessary. Then, upon completion, I went into full scale collapse, lying helplessly, haplessly on our sofa, utterly drained. Nothing could have made me move for the next hour and a half or so.

Finding the wherewithal to get moving again, making myself human and preparing to break the fast took some doing. But it was done - in itself a reminder that there's more to us than we might think even as we discover we're much less than we really want to be.

No comments: