Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Not Entirely Rational

Now trying to choose whether to embark on a reading of the Collected Poems of William Carlos Williams (in 2 volumes) or the Collected Poems of Ted Hughes. Of course, I can't lose either way, but I will face the irritation of not reading the other (for quite a while) if you see what I mean. Tried to settle this last night by starting on the early stuff from WCW, knowing that I've never found it all that appealing and thinking that if I found it problematic to keep going I'd switch to the Hughes. But it didn't work. I still found it unappealing, but forgivably so, and am quite happy to keep going - but every time I look at the lovely, chunky Collected from TH I find it difficult to resist.

And in case you're thinking I should read both at the same time, I'm very tempted to agree, but feel I wouldn't be doing justice to either somehow. Completely irrational, I know, but whoever claimed that any poetry-lover was motivated in any way by mere rationality?

No comments: