Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Distinctive Voices

Forgot to mention yesterday that my reading of the Springsteen book comes courtesy of Simon, who generously passed onto me both Born To Run and Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace when we visited his house. I've been thinking of getting hold of both for some time, having read some positive reviews, and from what I've read so far - most of the Springsteen and a smattering of the Young - those reviews were well deserved. As you might expect from song-writers of this calibre, there isn't a ghost-writer in sight. The voices of both emerge with clarity and an almost startling individuality from the texts (as I suppose is true of their recorded voices.)

Neither tries to be the slightest bit likable, by the way. Which is why you come away genuinely liking and respecting both.

No comments: