Thursday, August 16, 2018

In Common

I reminded Noi the other day of the times we'd been to KL in the company of Mak and Mum. They'd actually shared a room and, amazingly, seemed able to cope with the experience. I express a measure of surprise at this simply because in most ways they seemed so entirely different in character and, of course, background. I'm guessing that each must have been deeply puzzled at the other, but I may be wrong in this. Perhaps they had more in common than I ever realised, or understood their differences with a wisdom I didn't recognise because I didn't and don't possess it.

I suppose there's much we all share, despite our differences. Like all that clichéd, but deeply true stuff, about a common humanity. We're all puzzling, all a bit crazy, more than a bit foolish. If we're lucky, we share a capacity to love and be loved; if we're really lucky we cross paths with those we seem destined to love.

No comments: