Monday, August 27, 2018

A Little Learning

Finally making some real progress on Joseph Campbell's Oriental Mythology. The chapters on Indian belief systems were full of interesting material and I gained some fresh insights into both Hinduism in the broadest sense of that word and the development of Buddhist thought. It helped that I had some familiarity with both, but I was taken aback by some of the gaps in my understanding. For example, I really had no idea of the place occupied by the blue-black boy-savior Krishna (Campbell's description) in Hindu thought. Also I've enjoyed Campbell's lengthy re-telling of many of the key stories, the tales involving Krishna being a case in point.

Am now moving on to Campbell's consideration of Chinese mythology. This is an area in which I'm woefully informed, so I'm looking forward to some degree of enlightenment.

No comments: