Sunday, March 18, 2018

A Discovery

I thought I'd read all of the obvious anthology pieces from John Clare. His work featured quite heavily, and rightly so, in various collections created with a school-going audience in mind in the 70s and 80s. So I was a little taken back, and gratefully so, to discover yesterday that I'd never read his poem Autumn, which features so heavily on-line as to be one of his 'obvious' poems.

To add to my good fortune I made my discovery at Carol Rumens's Poem of the Week page (it featured way back in 2012) which meant I could add the pleasure of a particularly sympathetic analysis by Ms Rumens to my own response to a wonderful poem. I suppose I could trouble myself at some length wondering how the poem escaped me all these years, but I won't. I'll just enjoy reading it again. And again.

No comments: