Tuesday, August 16, 2016

In Tune

Can't get the tune from Soon It's Gonna Rain from The Fantasticks out of my head. Not that I want to or am trying in any way to do so.

Back in June I had a strangely dry period with regard to music. The opportunity was there to listen almost endlessly and I didn't take it. There were exceptions, but generally even stuff I love sounded stale. Now I'm going through a period in which everything I hear sounds vital and alive. Not sure why, but not bothering to think about that too hard. Just enjoying being in this zone.

When we were rehearsing A Midsummer Night's Dream there was a moment when I was the only person in the auditorium and one of the performers, who was the stage side of the closed curtain, just started improvising - at least, it sounded spontaneous - on the piano that occupies stage left (and gets in our way.) It was an oddly magical moment - again for reasons I can't explain, and don't really want to.

In fact, now I come to think of it, it was the music that some of the drama guys wrote for the show that sort of got me back in tune.

No comments: