Saturday, March 7, 2015

Wiped Out

Yesterday was a funny sort of day and saw me entering oblivion on the floor of the living room around about 9.30 pm whilst listening to the second disk in the wonderful The Film Music of Vaughan Williams box set I got earlier in the week. I then sort of surfaced well after midnight and somehow managed to stumble to my bed. I proceeded to sleep long and hard and feel thick-headed today as a result.

I suppose the collapse had been provoked by a number of factors, not the least being my third trip to the gym of the week. The thirty minutes I managed on the big machine with pedals seemed a good deal longer than just half-an-hour and spoke to my less than optimal level of fitness. Noi wasn't with me, I'm afraid, as she's travelled up to Melaka for the weekend, well, until Saturday night, but she'd cooked a surpassingly wonderful helping of oxtail soup to tide me over along with chunks of her own freshly baked bread. Consuming these delights on returning from my sweaty work-out was certainly the high point of the day, but made its inevitable contribution to the deep dozing that followed.

And there was the general sense of strain that the working day had involved, not terribly welcome at the end of a long term, as you may guess. Somehow a low but grinding level of frustration seemed to underpin the passing of the hours, the kind of frustration that accompanies the administrative processes that purport to support the business of teaching and learning but end up making it all seem a lot more complicated than it need be. Funnily the bits of the day involving actual learning were almost as pleasurable as the comestibles which so delightfully rounded it off.

No comments: