Monday, March 9, 2015

Feeling Good

Our attempts at getting started on a routine of regular exercise seem to be going well. I was a bit worried about provoking another bout of problems related to my lower back by over-doing it on a treadmill, but I've not used one at all. The thing I'm on, the one with pedals, is called an elliptical trainer, I think - at least that's what it says on the side - and as far as I can tell there's no impact involved at all when you get moving on it. I set it to its highest resistance deliberately, to avoid the temptation of moving too fast, and I try and keep my movements as fluid as possible. It feels like swimming against the tide, or pedalling very slowly uphill. So far, so good: not the slightest twinge from my lower back.

I've been missing doing any proper physical exercise for a long time and the relief I feel now runs deep, I can tell you. It's never surprised me to be told that exercise can be useful in the treatment of depression, unlikely as that may sound at first. Anyone who's experienced an endorphin rush will know what I mean. And the fact that it acts as a suppressant as far as appetite is concerned (well, it does in my case) has a quality of the miraculous about it.

Just hoping circumstances let me keep this up. The one thing I know is that you never know.

No comments: