Tuesday, February 24, 2015

World Enough And Time

Now listening to the Overture to The Marriage of Figaro, with John Eliot Gardiner wielding a sprightly baton. In a moment or two of madness a couple of weeks back I ordered a very tasty box set of the seven major Mozart operas as given the once-over by Gardiner and the English Baroque Soloists and various vocal luminaries in the 1990s. The box, I'm sort of happy to say, duly arrived yesterday. But since the music is gorgeous you're obviously wondering why I deem the ordering of the 18 CDs as not exactly a sane decision.

It's simple really. How am I ever going to live up to this music? How am I going to find time to lend it the total attention it deserves, indeed demands? At this point in time I have no idea at all, so I'll just surrender to the immediate pleasures on offer and leave the situation to work itself out.

More later - when the rest of the order arrives. (Oh dear, I neglected to mention there are other goodies on the way.)

No comments: