Monday, February 23, 2015

Smooth Sailing

I suspect that many travel narratives are only of any real interest to the travellers who write them, so I'll keep this one mercifully short and to the point. And the point is this: we really, really, really expected big queues at the immigration checkpoints for both Malaysia and Singapore last night, it being the end of the weekend following Chinese New Year when a goodly portion of the fine citizens of this Far Place finds itself on the way back from visiting folks up north. And that just didn't happen. I've rarely seen the checkpoints so empty of traffic.

Yet oddly there was an abundance of traffic on the highway heading south. I'm not sure where it all went but I'm glad it went there and not where we were going. Moral of the tale: be thankful for small mercies and even more thankful for bigger ones (like getting to bed at 11.00 pm ahead of a working day rather than the 1.30 am I thought might be in store for me.)

No comments: