Sunday, March 20, 2011

Identification

Read Anouilh's Antigone yesterday. First saw the play at university in an amateur production. Spent much of the time then surprised at just how bad the production was and getting increasingly bored. But strangely found I was able to remember a considerable amount of specific detail from it when my memory was jogged by the actual text.

When I first saw it I quite fancied playing the Chorus - great opening speech and then you can relax with a cup of tea backstage for most of the evening. Now I reckon I'd have to play the tyrant Creon since, as far as I can make out, he has all the best arguments and easily the best exit. Identifying so wholeheartedly with the villain of the piece is a bit troubling though.

I notice that neither Creon nor the Chorus gets to die. But then all the deaths are off stage so that doesn't count as a motivating, or de-motivating, factor.

No comments: