Tuesday, March 8, 2011

guitar/vocal

Got home to bang on Small Town Romance, featuring Richard Thompson live back in 1982 in New York City. It's just him and his trusty guitar in a master class of how to really play for an audience. Great songs delivered, well, greatly.

Apart from the fact that it makes for wonderful listening I had two particular reasons for airing this old favourite. The first was that I've been listening quite a bit recently to some of the students of the school at which I teach playing live and it's been a wonderfully refreshing experience reminding me of just how good it is to listen to the real, simple thing: guitar/vocals.

Secondly I just found out that the great man was awarded a gong, an OBE if I'm not mistaken, in the New Year's Honours list. Actually I don't care at all for such nonsense normally (so it's no good looking in my direction, Your Majesty) but it's a measure of my respect and admiration for our songster that for him I make an exception. Finally someone worth rewarding. (Him and Ryan Giggs. Knighthoods for both next time round, I reckon.)

No comments: