Thursday, March 10, 2011

Going Nuts

Bought all sorts of bags of nuts at work today from the healthy nuts vendor (or should that be the vendor of healthy nuts?) who sometimes sets up stall outside the staffroom - unsalted peanuts, brazils, hazelnuts, cashews. As I was greedily surveying my cache on the kitchen top after getting it home it occurred to me that as a kid I didn't like nuts at all - apart from salted peanuts, of course. And even fifteen or so years back it would have been bags of crisps and the like that would have got me excited, stuff I hardly look at now.

One of the fascinations of aging is being witness to one's own changing tastes. It reminds me of Benedick's line in Much Ado: A man loves the meat in his youth that he cannot endure in his age. Mind you I don't think he had nuts in mind. Or meat for that matter.

Funnily enough fifteen years ago I wouldn't have been able to end a paragraph with a sentence fragment as I do above either.

No comments: