Sunday, April 25, 2010

More Demands

It's incredibly difficult to deal with the work of students who struggle to express themselves with any degree of clarity. I've spent over thirty years trying to think myself into the position of kids who can't do what seems to come reasonably naturally to me. The problem is that if you can't figure out why what's going wrong is going wrong there's little you can do about it. Pointing out it is going wrong is important, but can only be a starting point. But I seem to spend a lot of time stuck at this level.

One thing that characterises the work of quite a few students is an apparent desire to make simple things more confusing than they are. I'm guessing that this is done in the vain hope that obfuscation will be mistaken for depth. Although, having said that, quite a few folk have built careers based on this strategy, so who am I to criticise?

1 comment:

Trebuchet said...

*grin* don't forget those of us who have rebuilt careers based on those who employ such strategies...