Monday, April 5, 2010

The Freezer

The school in which I teach has a lot more air-conditioned areas (like classrooms) than most schools in Singapore. This was not something which attracted me to apply for a job there as I'm no great fan of air-con - we never switch on the units in our living room and the computer room at home, for example. But some people seem to like it, for reasons that escape me.

One of the reasons those reasons escape me is typified by my experience of the early afternoon: listening to a series of TOK presentations in a lecture theatre whose mean (and I mean, mean) temperature would have put an igloo to shame. The temperature there is controlled (or possibly isn't) centrally so there was nothing to be done about it except to shiver and barely bear it.

Of course, I wasn't dressed for the occasion. But, then, I never am because everywhere else is so hot and clammy. There's an irony in all this somewhere, but I'm still too chilled to bother to tease it out.

No comments: