Monday, October 6, 2008

For Art's Sake

Made reasonable progress in both Untold Stories and The Blind Assassin over the weekend. I've now passed the central section of Untold Stories with all the diary entries, these proving such easy, enjoyable, rewarding reading that I had to consciously slow down to extend the pleasure of the text. A little bit of that pleasure comes from the referencing of aspects of British culture (especially of the more popular variety) with which I am familiar, though now at some distance. I'm not sure his essay on Thora Hird would mean much to someone who'd never seen her perform, but I have and found myself pleased to be able to recall her work, though I've never been a particular fan. He writes so well about her (well, about pretty much everything that catches his attention) that I'm sorry I didn't pay all that much attention to her when I was in a position to watch her regularly on tv. His play, or rather monologue, for her, The Last of the Sun is one of the best things in the collection.

Incidentally, I had no idea that Bennett is such an art (as in the visual arts) -buff. He's got an ability to communicate his enthusiasm in this regard that marks him as a natural, real teacher. It was a little strange to get into this aspect of his work just after completing The Sea, in which the appreciation of visual art is a key idea. It's been a long time since I've thought seriously about developing my sense of the history of art, something I was consciously attempting some years ago. I suppose that living in a place where there's little sense of the routine of going to galleries and exhibitions has dulled my appetite in that direction, but I can imagine it reviving under the tutelage of a Bennett.

Actually the problem I have is recognising quality. It all looks good to me, unless I don't get it (the conceptual/performance art stuff, which I still sort of enjoy even when it's just silly, or pretentious, or both) and I'm completely unable to make valid discriminations. In contrast, I think I recognise good writing, and there's heaps of it in Untold Stories.

No comments: