I was talking to a colleague last week about music, and for some reason started to expound some of my ideas about the nature of listening to it. Even as I was talking it struck me how odd my ideas must have sounded, especially to someone not particularly interested in music. At one point I referenced just how much my thoughts were not exactly my own and how grateful I was for being influenced at a formative period in my life by those of Robert Fripp on all this.
I mention this today in relation to my stumbling across a striking version of his soundscape Pie Jesu this morning. I'm not sure how exactly the original has been cunningly mixed in with an orchestral arrangement of the original improvisation played by the brilliant Metropole Orkest, but the results are stunning. I'd melted entirely by the end.
Plus the music on this recording is preceded by some fascinating comments by Robert himself on the nature of listening from his own experience. Next time I feel I need to explain myself on this topic I'll just direct them to this and a man who really knows what he is talking about.
No comments:
Post a Comment