Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Fine Writing

Since the end of fasting month I've been trying to get some momentum going with regard to my reading of the last novel in Susan Cooper's fantasy sequence The Dark is Rising. If I had world enough and time I reckon I would have raced through Silver in the Tree in a couple of days. But my world is too narrow and my time too starved to have managed more than the first 90 or so pages, so I'm not even halfway through yet.

But here's the good news. It's so well-written that a slow reading seems appropriate. Who cares about what happens next when you're so engrossed in what's happening now? (I suppose it's that kind of attitude that makes me forget plots so quickly.) (Oh, and it further occurs to me that I don't believe a word of it. The novel, I mean.)

No comments: