Sunday, October 1, 2017

Something Unfinished

I'll be on my way soon to pick up young Jordan, Tony's lad, who's back in Singapore. I think he's on his way to India in a day or two or three, but he moves in mysterious ways, so we'll wait and see where he's off to next, and when. Noi, I'm afraid, is temporarily incapacitated so won't be joining me as I wend my way across to Joo Chiat, where the young man is at the moment. It's unusual for her to be ill in any way, but, as I said, this looks like a temporary thing and I'm hoping she'll be back in form by this evening.

It was Jordan who very generously mailed me a copy of The Master and his Emissary, a book that has dominated my thinking for a few weeks now. I rather think he's expecting we'll be discussing Dr McGilchrist's key work and its ideas which I know excited him also, and I'm nothing loath to do so, but it's going to be a bit embarrassing to have tell him I still haven't finished the book.

I'm now well into Part 2, and thoroughly enjoying the move into a version of cultural history connected tellingly to Part 1's ideas about the functioning of the two hemispheres of the brain, but McGilchrist provides a dense read at times and I need to go slowly. Even then I'm aware I'll definitely have to read it all again, and probably soon, to get a handle on how it all fits together. But I suppose that's part of why the ideas come across as so telling: there's no dumbing down here, almost the reverse.

No comments: