Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The Perfect Novel

It's been a long time since I've had the pleasure of reading one of John Mortimer's tales of that most canny of legal eagles, Rumpole of the Bailey. I thought I'd read all the stories, completing them around about the time that Leo McKern made his last appearance as the character on the telly. But it turns out I was wrong - and very much so.

Today, completely by chance, I came across Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders in the library at work. I just happened to be looking for something worthy yet not overly demanding on the fiction front to follow my reading of David Foster Wallace's epic Infinite Jest. The effort of tackling the big book seems to have taken something out of me. On completing it I thought I'd instantly get on with another novel of some variety, but somehow haven't had the heart for more than a week now to embark on anything.

But as soon as I read the opening of the Rumpole and found myself back in chambers I was hooked. It seems that Mortimer penned this yarn of Rumpole's first triumphant case well after the tv series came to an end. I'm glad he did. And now I'm off for a good read.

No comments: