Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Moving Pictures

It speaks volumes for my old-fogeyism that I get mildly irritated at those talking heads shots they film for the telly in which the talking head is filmed not talking directly to the screen but from an angle, as if addressing someone other than the viewer. Why do they do that? And don't get me going on those that film from more than one angle and keep cutting between shots!

And now they've come up with another way of over-complicating the viewing experience. I was watching a gory little number about some serial killer on the esteemed Crime and Investigation channel when I realised that the various talking heads although being filmed head-on appeared to be gently spinning. Then I figured out that it was the background they'd been filmed against that was moving ever so slowly from left to right. Don't ask me how they got the background to move, because I don't care; I just wish they wouldn't.

By the way, the channel in question was advertising its forthcoming Serial Killer Sunday. You couldn't make this stuff up, could you? (Though the fact I was fairly glued to the screen for the particular episode I was viewing doesn't say much for my character, eh?)

No comments: