Saturday, October 10, 2015

In Tune

Just back from the concert hall with a concert featuring very palatable helpings of Ravel and Mozart. Got to hear Le Tombeau de Couperin live for the first time. I owned a version of it on vinyl back in the last century and it was one of those records that taught me how to appreciate classical music. The SSO did one of my favourite pieces justice this evening, I must say.

Odd thing: I've known since owning the aforementioned record that it began as a piano composition and the piano version comes in six movements. Yet I've never heard it. I'm about to set that right by going on a youtube hunt. Wish me luck.

Postscript: Gosh, with regards to the standard repertoire you can get just about anything on youtube. It took me less than ten seconds to track down quite a few piano versions of Ravel's wonderfully luminous and elegiac music, and I lulled myself to sleep last night listening to Angel's Hewitt's beautifully rendered version. Loved the second movement particularly (one of the two bits not orchestrated, so not heard by me before.)

No comments: