Monday, October 20, 2014

The Disappearance Of The Book

You just don't see novels on students' desks these days. Six years ago or so I would find myself noting the sometimes engaging mixture of novels it was possible to spot in a classroom. A fair amount of these were by Dan Brown, but you'd also catch sight of tomes by Leo Tolstoy and assorted luminaries, and I'm a great believer in the virtues of reading trash, anyhow. But I can't remember seeing a book, intended for casual reading, on a desk for months.

Now what I'm wondering is whether the kids are still reading their novels, but through nifty devices like Kindles. Or if they're just doing whatever they do on this mysterious Social Media I keep hearing about and the days of a good story are finished. I really don't know the answer, but I must say I just can't imagine anyone reading War and Peace from a screen, no matter how nicely lit it is. Mind you, that might speak more to my limitations than being a sign of the end of civilisation as we know it.

No comments: