Friday, August 29, 2014

Beyond Imagination

Evidence of how terrifically readable Reginald Hill's The Stranger House is can be adduced from the fact that somehow I've kept on reading it at a time when I have absolutely no time in which to read. I should finish it either later tonight or tomorrow and I can't wait to find out how Hill unties all the threads of the mystery and, more importantly, just what happens to the folks involved.

Apart from being a great read it's also got me interested in the whole sorry business of the child migration scheme on which the plot is based. Thousands of children over many years abused by the government and religious officials who were supposed to look after them! Interested is the wrong word though. It's inadequate to be just interested in this kind of horror. A failure of imagination. Fortunately Mr Hill's imagination does not fail.

No comments: