Monday, April 21, 2014

Changing Fortunes

Read a few of Chesterton's Father Brown stories over the weekend, in between marking scripts and falling asleep. Surely the oddest stories in the genre, with story-telling that is mannered in the extreme. Can't imagine they'd be published today, more's the pity, though it's interesting to note that some of them have been dramatized recently for the telly. Actually the edition I was reading from has good old Kenneth More's mug on the front cover, he having essayed the role for the goggle box some time back in the 70's, which is when I bought my paperbacks. I suppose they're seen as providing a sort of safe period charm in that context. The gothic weirdness sort of evaporates in the cold light of a script to be enacted.

I wonder if Chesterton will ever come back into fashion. Strange to think he was something of a best-seller in his day. So the worlds turn.

No comments: