Friday, December 28, 2012

Moving Pictures

Watched yet another film on the way back from Australia, meaning I've achieved record numbers of movies actually viewed from start to finish this year. In this case it was pure fluff, some silly stuff about extremely cool bicycle dispatch riders in New York (I think.) If I remember rightly it was called Premium Rush and featured the very engaging Joseph Gordon-Levitt (hope I've got the name right - he used to play Tommy in the brilliant Third Rock From The Sun.) I can't say I would have gone to the cinema to watch it, but it helped pass the time painlessly.

And then today two colleagues, on separate occasions, gave glowing accounts of The Life of Pi, which I must say I quite fancied anyway given how enjoyable the novel was. So it looks like I might just make the effort to catch this on the big screen, though I can't honestly say that 3D does anything for me, except make me feel slightly nauseous. This is in addition to very positive feedback on the movie of Les Miserables (which made Paul's good lady reach for the tissues) and my hankering for Lincoln, based on the reviews and Daniel Day-Lewis chewing the scenery, and the inevitability of a trip to The Hobbit. It must be years since I had four films that I really quite fancied seeing. The problem is, of course, finding time to do the necessary viewing in my time-starved existence, especially when nothing good ever lasts very long at the cinema here. Lincoln might not make it at all.

No comments: