Saturday, August 20, 2011

Weighty Matters

20 Ramadhan 1432

I generally shed a couple or more kilos in the fasting month. Usually these make their departure in the final third of the month, the bit we are about to enter. Why the kgs disappear has always been a bit of a mystery as I eat extremely well in the evening, possibly consuming more per day than is my usual fare.

Last year, for some reason, I didn't put the lost weight back on as I have always done before - generally after a month of Raya biscuiting and the like. And it's kept off all year, leaving me a kilo or so below what I would regard as my fighting weight. This didn't seem of any great concern to me, except to wonder what would happen if I were to lose more kilos fasting. That hasn't happened yet, which I'm quite pleased about since in the last three weeks three people on different occasions have told me I've lost weight in the sort of voices that suggest they are not paying me a compliment.

Happily I feel as healthy if not healthier than ever, but I don't think I can afford to look any more raddled than I am already, otherwise the concern of others might become a bit overwhelming. On the up side, I seem to have discovered the secret of eating as much as you might want to and actually shedding the kgs and I suppose it might be worth writing one of those diet books if I could only figure out how exactly I'm doing it.

No comments: