Friday, August 12, 2011

Reading On

12 Ramadhan 1432

The reading I planned for the month is going slowly, but at least it's going. I'm taking my time over Karen Armstrong's biography of the Prophet (peace be upon him) since I read it very quickly and enthusiastically the first time and tended to neglect the finer details as a result. On the fiction front I'm engrossed in Tolstoy's Resurrection. Again a re-reading, but it's been a long time since I first read it - the paperback I've got dates back to 1974. I think I read it soon after finishing my first ever reading of War and Peace, but I'm not completely sure of this. As a teenager I recognised the odd intensity and stripped-back quality of the narrative, in contrast to the great early novels, but I remember thinking that Tolstoy as out and out moralist still had plenty to offer. Now, many years later, I'm feeling the same thing.

It's illuminating reading something from a very different religious tradition at this time.

No comments: