Monday, May 2, 2011

Royalty Indeed

I can remember when I first heard that Disney intended to mount a stage musical of The Lion King how idiotic I thought the idea was. A fine cartoon, yes, possibly the best of the wonderful late blossoming of the old style of Disney cartoons that began with The Little Mermaid, and some highly enjoyable music. But putting it on stage seemed more than a little pointless.

How utterly wrong I was - though I knew nothing then of the brilliance of Julie Taymor, the director who engineered the transition. Though engineered is completely the wrong word for a genuinely visionary process. She saw the possibilities of bringing to the stage a mixture of ritual and Broadway bravura to produce a stunning piece of popular theatre.

Last night was one of the best evenings I've spent in a theatre anywhere. (Despite said theatre being situated in one of my least favourite locations, the hideous Marina Bay Sands.) And anyone on this small island who's thinking of going, but isn't sure. Be sure. Brilliant.

No comments: