Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Persistence

I've been phoning Mum everyday for the last couple of weeks and each call has ended in disappointment. The pain she's suffering from the shingles shows no sign of abating and it's obviously wearing her down. Phoning is all I can do and it isn't really doing anything. As far as I can tell the doctors treating her (there seem to be at least three who've paid visits) are baffled as to why this attack has been so prolonged. The original prediction was that it would be over and done with in three weeks at the most.

I've sometimes made the point that keepgoingness is something to be deeply admired in people. I'm seeing that, as I often have in the past, with Mum and my admiration knows no bounds. The problem is, that's not going to help in the current situation.

2 comments:

Trebuchet said...

My dad had shingles last year, and he had to consume a course of antivirals to control it. Wasn't easy; gets more difficult with age. I feel a great deal of sympathy.

That said, I happen to be listening to an Adrian Boult/LPO recording of Vaughan Williams's Pastoral Symphony, 2nd movement. It sort of captures the English ability to keep going with a kind of aggressive serenity.

Brian Connor said...

Appreciate the comment, and very glad your dad recovered.

I'm not feeling too keen on the English at present, as my post for 22 October might suggest, but being reminded of one of the (few) truly great Englshmen (or was he Welsh?) has helped me restore some equilibrium.

Isn't the whole symphony wonderful? And so sad.