Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What A Rush!

Preparing to go overseas in the middle of term results in an extremely busy life, on top of the merely very busy life one is used to. I discovered this before the Surabaya trip last term, and the last few days have confirmed those findings. The worrying thing is that I'm quite enjoying being as busy as this. I seem to have entered that odd sort of state of grace that I've written about before where somehow everything comes together, though there's really no reason why it should.

Case in point: on Friday I mislaid my black notebook - I'm referring here to my ultra-low tech real notebook made of paper costing less than $4. This is where I jot everything down I've got to do, and cross it out when it's done. I'm basically dead without it. This is the second time this year I've dropped it somewhere. Earlier on it fell off a chair when I was in the big auditorium and we parted company for a couple of hours, but I popped back in to find it almost immediately. I wasn't quite so lucky last Friday. I discovered it missing in the afternoon and went in search of it to the three locations I'd staked out since I remembered using it. It was nowhere to be found in the old auditorium, Lecture Theatre 1 or the last classroom I'd been in.

For some reason I didn't panic, even yesterday when I visited the Estate Office to ask about lost and found items and it hadn't shown up. Then I found it this morning, without actually looking. I was back in Lecture Theatre 1 for a Year 5 Literature lecture and prowling around intimidating the audience on behalf of Runima, who was actually giving the lecture. Passing one of our Drama girls I happened to look down at a black notebook lying on her files and thought it familiar. I asked if it were hers and she told me she just discovered it jammed down the side of her chair, which was where I'd been sitting on the Friday, as I suddenly recalled. Joy of joy, the information I desperately needed was in my hands again and life could go on. Yet curiously I didn't feel the flood of relief I might have expected. I just sort of took it as my due, the universe coming around to my way of thinking.

As I said, it's nice to be in this state, but a bit worrying. At some point I'll come down to earth, but until then it's nice to enjoy the ride.

No comments: