Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Out Of Business

Ramadhan 17 1429

It's surprising even to me that my recent sorties in the War on Capitalism have had such a dramatic impact on great giants like AIG. I suppose, though, other factors may have been involved - the usual suspects: greed, stupidity and the like.

The mighty Dan hit the nail on the head, as Messers Becker & Fagen have done so often, in Everything Must Go, of which the perspicacious first verse runs: It's high time for a walk on the real side / Let's admit the bastards beat us / I move to dissolve the corporation / In a pool of margaritas / So let's switch off all the lights / And light up all the Luckies / Crankin' up the afterglow / 'Cause we're going out of business / Everything must go.

I believe the song was originally written in the wake of the Enron fiasco, but it's clearly one for all seasons. See you all at the last mall!

No comments: