Thursday, February 1, 2007

Working Life

Yesterday was a long one in terms of work. After the afternoon session with the ACSIS branch of Drama Club Ferdinand & I took the 6 committee members to Pizza Hut for dinner and a committee meeting. It was time well spent. I'm finding my work in the sessions invigorating. The quality of what the students produce is excellent, particularly considering the time constraints they are up against when getting material ready for in-house performance. I'm finding simply planning the sessions a pleasure. The evening meal was fun and, I think, useful in sorting out issues related to the functioning of the CCA. It's not all clear sailing - and that's good because the learning comes from dealing with the obstacles, and that's my learning as much as the students. Today was also a bit of a challenge, especially trying to put together a meaningful PC period for my class. I'm trying to avoid turning into a preacher or a nagger, but those are such easy modes to adopt. The guys in my class are simply too grown-up for me to take the easy way out and deliver neatly packaged homilies. I don't think I succeeded in what I was shooting for today, but I think there was some value in what was happening. Uncertainty is good for me. I'm far too complacent about my work.

No comments: