Friday, November 3, 2017

Paperwork

I'm contemplating the intimidating prospect of having to pack all the stuff at my desk in the next week or so since our staffroom will be undergoing severe renovations over the next couple of months. (Hope they finish in time for the beginning of the new school year in January.) Now considering throwing out as much as possible of what has accumulated over the last eleven years. The funny thing is that I'm oddly reluctant to part with stuff in case it proves to be useful in future, and this despite the fact it wasn't particularly useful in the past.

I suppose there's part of me that would like to think there was some point to all the pointless paperwork even when I am very sure there wasn't.

I got to thinking earlier of Dickens's brilliant evocation of the endless heaps of legal documents associated with Chancery in Bleak House. I suspect the Great Inimitable was more than a little in love with the mania of it all as much as he despised the madness. I wonder if he was a hoarder himself?

No comments: