Sunday, March 23, 2014

Crashing Down

Lots of prominence given in KL to the missing MH370, particularly in the form of injunctions to prayer, but also in terms of coverage on the local news. The more cutting aspects of the general news coverage in terms of criticism of the authorities are glossed over, of course, but the genuine concern for the sufferings of the families and relatives of those on board the flight is palpable. It's so easy to identify with their situations, though, fortunately, hard to grasp the reality of the pain they must be feeling.

I'm reminded of what I think was my first real awareness of the kind of devastation involved in this kind of tragedy, and, strangely enough, I actually saw the doomed aircraft on that occasion, just minutes before it crashed. I can see it in my mind now.

It was back in 1967, a Sunday in June. A flight on its way from Spain to Manchester's Ringway Airport crashed in the middle of Stockport, killing most of the passengers on board - more than 70 (but fortunately, miraculously, killing no one on the ground. ) The newspapers in the days that followed published pictures of all the victims with enough detail about each to make you feel you almost knew them. 

I was on my way to church, St Paul's at Guide Bridge, standing at the top of Guide Bridge where the railway station used to be. I was with my friend Chris Conroy when the plane came over. It was obviously flying incredibly low. We could almost make out the faces at the windows, and we waved to them. It never occurred to us that there was going to be a crash, but when we found out about the plane coming down we weren't surprised. It explained everything. I can't recall much sound being involved which makes me now wonder if the engines were off - I know the plane came down due to lack of fuel.

I think we were the only people on Guide Lane to see the doomed flight cross over. There wasn't anyone around for us to express our surprise and ironic delight to, in seeing the plane so close-up. Sunday mornings were generally quiet in those days.

Some stories have no happy ending.

No comments: