Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Easing In

7 Ramadhan 1434

So it's basically been a week since fasting began - not that I'm counting, but, of course, I am. And I can't honestly say that I've felt the physical demands in any very big way. Work has been relatively routine - we've been doing exams so I've been marking and invigilating and not too much else. That's about to change, though, so there may be surprises in store.

Of course, I've felt tired, and will continue to do so to the last day, I'm sure. But, except for stretches on the first couple of days, I haven't felt drained, and that's a mercy.

But what has been difficult, as always, has been managing the other less visible aspects of what the experience asks of you. Early on the first morning, for example, I had a sudden flash of temper - quite reasonably so - but reasonably doesn't count for anything. You simply have to keep control, no matter what. Now I know how Dr Banner feels. Hah!

No comments: