Monday, August 20, 2012

Just Visiting

We spent yesterday evening paying visits to an epic number of houses. And when I say 'we' I'm talking of a small crowd, almost a tribe in itself. I took along a copy of Alfian Sa'at's A History of Amnesia since this fitted neatly into one of my pockets, and perusing the odd poem here and there can be valuably illuminating in the gaps that tend to open up on these expeditions. Indeed, I re-discovered what a very fine collection it is, as well as re-discovering the pleasures of visiting our (hugely) extended family in Melaka.

I'll post some pictorial evidence of the day once we're back in our Far Place, which shouldn't be too long from now. We're intending to get on our way in the late afternoon. No standing still for us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a copy of 'A History of Amnesia', but I somehow managed to lose it in year 5. One of my sadder losses.

In other news, I think you'll love Slate's series on the prog era: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/prog_spring.html

Brian Connor said...

Last time I was at Books Actually they had some copies. I was blown away by my recent reading, by the way. The collection seemed to have improved with time, especially the final sequences, which, I suppose, might be seen as the controversial stuff.

And I did love the Slate articles -many thanks. I think the writer over-simplifies the period, and I was there so I should know - but he does so with real wit and some insight. Certainly got me thinking(when I should have been doing other things, like working - so double thanks are due!)