Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Glimpse Of Art

Happened to pop into the Art Room today on a bit of business. It's always a good place to be as you get a chance to view a lot of the students' work in progress. In fact, I've always considered the art rooms in every school I've ever been in as the best areas to hang out in.

But today was a bit special. On entering I caught sight of quite a large canvas leaning against a table and it was stunning in every detail. The essence of the piece was a youthful figure eyeing the viewer, but with the glance partly obscured by a piece of clothing held in front of the face of the figure. There was more to the composition than that, a lot more actually, but that alone was compelling. And not just for me. Chris Talbot happened to be with me and once I'd pointed out the canvas he readily agreed about its odd power.

The oddness came, I think, from the fact that there was a strong sense of meaning about the painting yet also a feeling that you were projecting something onto what was essentially a simple canvas.

On exiting Chris made the observation that the work on view in the room generally was a lot more rewarding than that hung in the average 'real' gallery - and he was absolutely right.

No comments: