Monday, July 25, 2011

Amy, Amy, Amy

Played the first Amy Winehouse album, Frank, over the weekend. I never got the other better selling one, but it was sort of on my list for the future. First saw her on the Jools Holland programme they sometimes used to air over here - she appeared on the same night as Pearl Jam (who were brilliant.) This was before she became a bit of a public embarrassment, or before I became aware that she was such.

It's an engaging album with genuine originality. My favourite track Amy, Amy, Amy actually manages self-deprecating humour, charm and real oomph. I understand she was just nineteen when she wrote it. They say she couldn't handle the fame her gift brought with it. She certainly couldn't handle the drugs.

I'm not thinking too deeply about this, except to say I loathe the kind of drug culture that battens on victims like this poor kid. Twenty-seven. Just at the beginning. People who know about these things sometimes refer to getting wasted on illegal substances. Absolutely - a complete waste.

No comments: