Friday, October 15, 2010

The Worse For Wear

Odd coincidence today: I'd been idly browsing around amazon.com and reading some glowing reviews of the work of Daniel Lanois, and slightly less glowing opinions on Neil Young's recent output and then I opened the Life section of The Straits Times to find them pictured side-by-side. I suppose, to be honest, it wasn't all that much of a coincidence though as Mr Lanois in producer-mode has been performing his usual alchemy on Mr Young's most recent collection of songs and said CD was being reviewed under the photo in question. And it was a review of Le Noise that had been the starting point of my little journey through the amazonian commentary on the work of the two gents.

But the point I'm actually getting to is this - the dynamic duo looked distinctly elderly and even more distinctly the worse for wear. They could have done with a stint on one of those How To Look Ten Years Younger programmes there are so many of these days. Furthermore, they obviously didn't care. Probably too focused on creating wonderful music to bother. The nerve of it!

And now I'm stuck with an even longer wishlist of albums to buy, not so much because of their collaborative piece but as a result of realising I haven't got any of Danny's solo work and am now perplexed as to how this deficiency has come to be

No comments: