Thursday, September 16, 2010

News

Heard from two old friends this week. It was heartening to note that the news from one, old buddy Simon who it seems sometimes drops into this Far Place, was largely good - except for the sadness of losing his splendid dogs. In fact, he's now got five grandchildren which seems to me about as good as news can get.

The sad thing is though that I've reached an age when some of the news that really counts, of friends and family, is sometimes not so good at all. On the same day Simon's e-mail came we got a letter from another old friend to tell us that his wife had passed away. We were stunned. The last time we saw the lady in question she was, as usual, full of the joys of life (despite- perhaps because of - being in her seventies.) We're still trying to take it in.

And I suppose that's been the case with news of the illness or death of other friends. I'm thinking just now of the names on the list. Too many; far, far too many. And I'm thinking of how to find some comfort in all this. But other than a weak attempt to convey some to others I can't think of anything at this sombre point in time.

No comments: