Thursday, December 17, 2009

Snow Fun

Just look at that! Thus Mak Ndak in a tone that might fairly be described as one of childish excitement. The occasion: Fafa seeing snow for the first time in her little life - and Noi and Fifi seeing it for the second. Having seen snow on numerous occasions I'd have made the comment with a distinct falling tone. I can't stand the stuff - never could.

Snow is essentially deceptive. It can look beautiful, as in movies or when you are looking out of a window onto it from a warm place, though in the second instance one's enjoyment is likely to be muted if you actually have to go out in it for some reason. The fact is when you find yourself walking in it or on it, it rapidly loses its tenuous charm and reveals itself for what it is: rain, very cold, bleak, fluffy rain.

The girls were noticeably keen, as it fell, on returning to our warm apartment in Bayswater. Noi felt they should experience Buck house in the bleak mid-winter. She had a point. They are not likely to forget our little trip to the royal palace. I know I won't. I'm just hoping we don't get a further fall, of the snow variety, when driving north, as I'm doing tomorrow. (Actually today according to the date of this post which is following Singapore time.)

4 comments:

Trebuchet said...

Have a good time up north. Meanwhile, the Arse is giving me conniptions with their inconsistent form. Beat Liverpool at Anfield, drew Burnley at Turf Moor. Grr.

Brian Connor said...

The Burnley result really surprised me. I thought Arsene's boys were just coming into their own. I think they are going to be thereabouts at the season's end though in a three horse race with the usual suspects. This one is going to be very exciting!

Up North, as usual is cold. Very cold. But then, everywhere over here is.

Wiccan Wonder said...

You're in the UK, sir? For how long?
I might visit you once the train ticket prices become more reasonable.

Brian Connor said...

Leaving soon, WW. I don't think travel is advisable at this time, especially using the rail system. Hope you are thriving despite the British winter.