Thursday, August 7, 2008

Cleaning Up

Just back from Parkway where we failed to buy a mop. The experience put me in mind of my years as an industrial cleaner. There's not a lot a lot I don't know about the floor of the women's toilet at Ciba-Geigy, Trafford Park, for the cleanliness of which I was responsible as a youngish teenager. I was a mean man with a mop and floor stripper in those days.

The guy we worked for was a Mr Potter. Nice chap. He'd lost a finger in the war and had a few stories to tell about his experiences, at that time, in France. He was also the uncle of Davey Jones of Monkees fame. Small world, well at least it was in Manchester.

Thinking back, it was instructive just how much you could get to hear about the war by asking middle-aged guys what it was like. I can't think of one who had a remotely heroic story to tell. Neither can I recall anything approaching animus towards the 'enemy'. (According to Dad: Good fighters. Good army.) Mostly it was a mess, I gathered, and not a nice one.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Brian - Small world - I met John Potter years later (now about 20 years ago!) regarding a cleaning contract at some offices we managed in Wilmslow (he was still at MCC then). For some strange reason I didn't disclose our past connection - and have always regretted it!

Brian Connor said...

Yo,Simon! I'd forgotten his name was John, if I ever knew it in the first place. And I'd forgotten it was Manchester Contract Cleaners we worked for. Pity you didn't enlighten him, then we might know what he really thought of the idiots he had to employ. Do you remember his war stories? There was one about a guy sitting next to him in a field gettiing shot that has stayed with me for years.