Sunday, June 29, 2008

Decay

The climate here is unforgiving. Philip Jeyaretnam gets this nicely through the narrator of Abraham's Promise: The pages are yellow, blotchy and discoloured. Looking at these repositories of learning, my best friends, I pity their sufferings from our heat and humidity. Scholarship can never conquer in these parts: every seeming victory is mocked by the steady workings of the climate, a climate that rots wood, paper and fabrics with democratic indiscrimination. I would add CDs to that list.

Today I was trying to play my box set of the four symphonies of Michael Tippet and found that the ravages of time had had a real go at the third and fourth. When II first started buying CDs, around 1987, I think, we were told they would last a lifetime. Most of those I bought then still play okay, but I can't see them lasting a great deal longer, marked as most of them seem to be simply by time.

I used to get mildly depressed by the damage caused by the climate, especially to books. But there's a positive side to all this. It's a reminder that collecting stuff just to lie on the shelves is not a particularly useful thing to do. Use it - and then it's really not so bad if you lose it. Though I must say I'd like a good listen to Tippet's last two symphonies again - just wish I'd played them more when they were in good health.

2 comments:

The Hierophant said...

You've said stuff about this before. An expensive way to keep the books is to keep the room at 25 degrees by use of an air-conditioner. That's madness. So far I've avoided substantial book damage. But I am only 18 years old, after all.

Brian Connor said...

Yes. Now you mention it I'm vaguely aware of having rambled about this in the past.
For some time now I've been uneasily aware of the likelihood of repeating myself wholesale. I know this because when I've glanced back over past entries (a rare but occasional practice) I've been surprised at how completely I've forgotten writing something. The climate seems to rot more than just books and CDs.
I suppose I should be worried about this, but I actually quite enjoy the sense of rediscovering forgotten things and being able to ramble on unchecked.
It's like rereading something and realising it's pretty much new to you to enjoy all over again - a phenomenon I do remember commenting on previously.