Monday, December 24, 2007

Shaping Up

Without the kids around we found time yesterday to watch an episode of Downsize Me, one of our favourites on the Discovery Health & Home channel. I suppose one of the reasons I enjoy it is that you get the chance to feel superior to some poor soul who’s got a major problem with their weight yet you can claim that you are rooting for them to do well and embrace a healthy way of eating and exercising. It’s not exactly noble, but useful for stimulating one’s own efforts at achieving a reasonable level of fitness. Anyway the advice given in the programme is obviously sound and there’s a real sense of dealing with issues related to health rather than simply trying to look better, which is all to the good. And, to be fair to myself, I do end up genuinely wanting the subjects to succeed.

So partly motivated by all this, I’ll be running around the taman a bit later today, trying to consolidate some of the gains I made running with the kids. Sadly Noi has not had the same opportunities (she had to lend her running shoes to Aiman and, therefore, was unable to join in) and I’m trying to convince her to step out with me. We completed a run in Melaka (the first time we’ve done anything there) essentially to show Ayiem that there are places you can find to run in the area around Mak’s house, but Noi didn’t enjoy getting started again after a lay-off. But with regard to Ayiem, if he keeps up what we’ve started here he stands a good chance of shedding the few kgs he needs to lose.

There’s little chance of my becoming swollen headed over my achievements, however. My discovery this morning that I’ve been regularly misspelling the name of my favourite composer of serious music, and in this very public Far Place, was a chastening one. Vaughan with two ‘a’s still looks odd to me though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah haha, re Vaughan Williams spelling. Not a biggie, really. I mean, how many people pronounce Dvorak right first time? Let alone horrible English names like 'Greenwich' or 'Gloucester'.